Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Thinking..............

Classic Paul Simon/Chevy Chase Music Video

As I lie on my bed right now, listening to Paul Simon's "Graceland" album for the first time (of course, I've heard many of the songs before - get real), I am counting my blessings. Not only my blessings, but my current responsibilities. Not only my current responsibilities, but my goals. And so on.

I just got back from a great family vacation. We went to Sun Lakes, a modest little fishing resort spot in Eastern WA that we used to visit when my brother and I were younger. We had a great time this weekend playing with Travis and Sadie's kids, unwinding with games of Settlers of Catan and Apples to Apples, and catching fish. I was also able to make some significant headway into The Lord of the Rings (a book I am enjoying immensely and am trying my darnedest to separate from the movies).

Deep Lake Cliffs at Sun Lakes

It was a nice break from the norm, even if it flew by and was slightly dreary. It gave me time to ponder on many things, including what I'll be undertaking this summer. I have many irons in the fire right now. There's a personal art exhibit that I have been working on for about 6 months which will be on display in Enumclaw during the month of September. There is also my application to DigiPen's MFA program, due the end of this month, for which I still need to complete my portfolio and get the letters of recommendation. I've also just donated three drawings to a little event called "Artists Against Inhumanity", which will be coming up in July. As if that isn't enough, I've teamed up with World Vision to create an original work of art to be displayed on their behalf in a special gallery dedicated to local outreach and medical organizations. I have to recheck the dates on that, but I believe the event will be in early-mid July, with the work displayed in both McCaw Hall and the Intiman Theatre. I'm thinking about doing a triptych.

Example of a Triptych, if you have no clue what that is.

That's a lot to keep track of. Plus, my place of employment just gave me a bunch of new responsibilities.

So, I'm excited to see what happens over the next few months. There are so many different directions these opportunities could push me, especially with God manning (Godding?) the rudder.

I'm still working on streamlining my life - getting rid of distractions, unneeded and unused items, and reliance upon unhealthy (physically, mentally, spiritually) foods. Recently, I donated all of my books to the church I attend, hoping that others will find some joy in them and that I may find a little freedom from the gargantuan territory that they claim. My foolish anti-Kindle stance had the rug pulled out from under it and I went out and bought one. Great purchase.

That's where I'm at right now. Weighing and altering priorities, cleaning up the excess, and finding joy in God and His work in my life and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment