Friday, May 4, 2012

Chopping the fat

I recently moved. The talkative stranger at Emerald City Smoothie asked me if I had gotten some land out in Ravensdale. I told him that I knew some people who lived out there and that I would be staying with them for a while. I didn't mention that they were my parents. He doesn't need to know that.

Not that this is a huge deal. Nor even the point of this post. For the record, I love my family and I'm glad that they are supportive of me when I need a parachute. Moving back with them is a reminder to me that they are great people with a great home and great food and that I really don't want to live with them. Again, it's not that I don't like living with them and it's not that I don't appreciate the sacrifices that they are making. It's just that the big move back home is making me rethink my priorities, goals, and lifestyle.

When I was packing and moving all of the heavy cardboard boxes full of stuff and things, I realized that I have way too many things and stuff. This led me to make lists of things I need and things I use. I haven't gotten around to cutting much fat yet, but I have a game-plan (or at least some image of a simpler lifestyle). I want to be able to move all of my possessions with as little difficulty as possible. I want to be able to feel like my life is streamlined. No clutter. No mess. No shelves full of stuff that is never used nor looked at. This is my goal.

As the coming weeks pass, I will (hopefully) be updating all two of you on how my purging process is proceeding. So far I have splurged on a Kindle, so that I can get rid of a bunch of classic novels that are sitting on my floor. I love physical copies of books, but when they cost money in print and are free, highly portable, and readily available through the use of my Kindle, I will make the sacrifice.

Wish me luck as I continue junking junk, eliminating extra elements, and donating doodads.

No comments:

Post a Comment