Monday, April 23, 2012

Plans Change

I was talking to my Sister-in-law (wassup Sadie) about my new project and she was saying how much she was enjoying my drawings of various authors and characters. She mentioned that she thought I should draw some Star Wars characters (as if I wasn't gonna, psshhh), but that I would probably not be able to due to trademarks and copyrights. That set off an explosion in my mind that led to me googling laws and junk having to do with art depicting celebs (both dead and alive). Not only are there legal wranglings involving rights to personal image, but there are laws to protect the photographers as well. Therefore, I won't be continuing with this project, even though there seems to be some leeway. Just too much paranoia.

I will, however, be starting a new project. It will involve the ever-frustrating use of soft pastels. I'm really wanting to simplify my art style and I've always been drawn to simple compositions and color choices. I'm not into loud or clashing colors or overly-busy designs. I really dig Edward Hopper and Van Gogh, with their studies in light, geometry, and organic shapes, so I've decided to draw inspiration from them and begin a journey into simplicity, striking compositions, and abstractions/slices of reality. I really want to focus on the man-made juxtaposed with the natural. I'm not going to over-think my compositions or subjects and I'm not trying for a masterpiece with every work. I'm merely going to find a subject that interests me and attempt to create a work that highlights it in a compelling way. Here are a couple of my first works for this new direction:


Light pole


Rooftops

I think you can already see the Edward Hopper in these works. I'm hoping to introduce even a wider variety of colors in my future works, but I really want to keep things true to life. We'll see where this leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment